Wednesday, June 29, 2016

A human being should be able to... (Wednesday Quotation)

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. ~ Robert A. Heinlein


(Remember, it’s a quotation, not a quote)

2 comments:

  1. I know how to change a diaper, I'm sure I could plan an invasion, I've designed buildings (small ones) and written sonnets, I've balanced accounts and built walls (small and large ones), I can take and give orders, I can cooperate and act alone, I can solve some equations and analyze problems, I've pitched manure, I can definitely cook tasty meals, I fight as efficiently as I know how, and I'm reasonably sure I could set a bone and comfort the dying. I'd like to think I could die gallantly.

    But I've never had the opportunity to butcher a hog or conn a ship, and while I think I could learn to program computers, I have no real desire to.

    You?

    ReplyDelete