Saturday, August 6, 2016

Cirque du Soleil - NOVA this week (August 6, 2016)

Observations from my weekly wanderings, usually in Northern Virginia (NOVA).


My daughter, nephew, and I went to Cirque du Soleil - Kurios this week. As usual, it was very good.

Hmmm – I thought I was going to get a few more words out of this. *snaps finger* It was very, very good.

If you’ve never been you should go. I’ve been before to Alegria (my favorite) and Quidam, but this one Kurios – Cabinet of Curiosities, is the first I’ve seen under the Grand Chapiteau (think circus Big Top).

I suppose I’m being a bit presumptuous; so in case you are unfamiliar, Cirque du Soleil is an entertainment company, based in Montreal, Quebec, Canada, and the largest theatrical producer in the world. They have many different shows, most of them traveling, and a permanent show in Las Vegas (maybe a few other locations – not sure).

The shows are reminiscent of the circus, except they don’t have animals, or rings. The performances tell a story – sort of – but they are really just a venue for a series of acrobats, contortionists, clowns, etc. with live music. When they first develop a new show, like Kurios, it tours under the Grand Chapiteau. After a few years, they expand the tour venues and will play in arenas/stadiums etc. And then after a few more years the show is retired.

It’s really a stupendous show, with a definite French feel; the master of ceremonies greets the audience in French and English and some of the songs are in French. Prior to this show, I always assumed it all originated in France – sorry Canada. Now I know better.

And thanks to the Canada Council for the Arts, which saved the show in 1983-84 when it was on the verge of bankruptcy.


2 comments:

  1. I love Cirque du Soleil. I've only seen two of their shows so far and enjoyed them both -- Quidam and Totem. I'd hope (fingers crossed) that I'll be able to see Kurios this year.

    It would be so awesome if they did a show based on book like The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great idea for their next theme. Hope you make it to the show this year.

      Delete